Crafting Pencils & Crafting People
But during that time God has expanded the work and provided venues to meet the growing needs.
- In 1882 the Eskin Street site was bought for £375
- In 1901 the first marque was erected on Skiddaw Street.
- In 1997 Rawnsley Hall was purchased to accommodate the thriving youth work.
One of the most important milestones in the history of the Keswick Convention has been the Derwent Project. In 2015 we purchased the former Derwent Pencil Factory site to provide an integrated site for the Convention and a hub for year-round ministry. Through God’s kindness and the generosity of supporters, the site has been transformed and the derelict Pencil Factory refurbished.
Despite the Covid pandemic, the site was used as the main venue for the Convention for the first time in 2021. The refurbished Pencil Factory is used extensively during the 3 weeks of the summer but also as a venue for year-round teaching and training events. It is available for churches to use and in 2023 we hosted our first ‘Church Weekend Away’ event. Local community groups have also started using the space and there is increasing interest from other organisations looking for a venue in the heart of the Lake District.
As the main building work on the site is complete, the Derwent project is wrapping up. But in many ways, this is just the beginning. Please pray with us that we would use the facilities God has given us wisely. Pray that, by God’s grace, this new home of Keswick Ministries would be a place where the gospel advances, his Word is proclaimed, the cause of world mission flourishes, youth and children’s work is extended, and believers are resourced and refreshed – all for the glory of God.
Written by Elizabeth McQuoid, Commissioning Editor, Keswick Ministries