God’s purpose is to bring his blessing to all the nations of the world (Genesis 12:3). That promise of blessing, which touches every aspect of human life, is ultimately fulfilled through the life, death, resurrection, ascension and future return of Christ. All of the people of God are called to participate in his missionary purposes, wherever he may place them. The central vision of Keswick Ministries is to see the people of God equipped, inspired and refreshed to fulfil that calling, directed and guided by God’s Word in the power of his Spirit, for the glory of his Son.
Keswick Ministries exists to inspire and equip Christians to love and live for Christ in His world.
There are three fundamental priorities which shape all we do as we look to serve the local church.
Hearing God’s Word
The Scriptures are the foundation for the church’s life, growth and mission, and Keswick Ministries is committed to preach and teach God’s Word in a way which is faithful to Scripture and relevant to Christians of all ages and backgrounds.
Becoming like God’s Son
From its earliest days the Keswick movement has encouraged Christians to live godly lives in the power of the Spirit, to grow in Christ-likeness and to live under his Lordship in every area of life. This is God’s will for his people in every culture and generation.
Serving God’s Mission
The authentic response to God’s Word is obedience to his mission, and the inevitable result of Christ-likeness is sacrificial service. Keswick Ministries seeks to encourage committed discipleship in family life, work and society, and energetic engagement in the cause of world mission.
It begins in 1875 with the first Convention, held on the vicarage lawn of St. John’s Church in Keswick, in England’s Lake District. Since 1875, the Convention has brought Christians together from across denominations under the banner: ‘All one in Christ Jesus’ (Gal 3:28). They have seen their lives transformed as they sat under God’s Word, and they have gone out to love and live for Christ across the UK and the world.
The Convention attracts some 15,000 Christians from the UK and around the world to Keswick every summer. It provides Bible teaching for all ages, vibrant worship, a sense of unity across generations and denominations, and an inspirational call to serve Christ in the world. It caters for children of all ages and has a strong youth and young adult programme. And it all takes place in the beautiful Lake District – a perfect setting for rest, recreation and refreshment.
For over 140 years the work of Keswick has impacted churches worldwide, not just through individuals being changed but through Bible Conventions that originate or draw their inspiration from the Keswick Convention. Today, there is network of events that share Keswick Ministries’ priorities across the UK and in many parts of Europe, Asia, North America, Australia, Africa and the Caribbean. Keswick Ministries is committed to strengthen the network in the UK and beyond, through prayer, news and cooperative activity.
Keswick Teaching and Training
Keswick Ministries is developing a range of inspiring, equipping, Bible-centred teaching and training that focuses on ‘whole of life’ discipleship. This builds on the same concern that started the Convention, that all Christians live godly lives in the power of the Spirit in all spheres of life in God’s world. Some of the events focus on equipping. They are smaller and more intensive. Others focus on inspiring. Some are for pastors, others for those in other forms of church leadership, while others are for any Christian. All courses aim to see participants return home refreshed to serve.
Keswick Ministries produces a range of books and booklets and digital resources to inspire and equip Christians to live for Christ. The printed resources focus on the core foundations of Christian life and mission and help Christians in their walk with Christ. The digital resources make teaching and sung worship from the Keswick Convention available in a variety of ways.
- There is one God in three persons, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- God is sovereign in creation, revelation, redemption and final judgment.
- The Bible, as originally given, is the inspired and infallible Word of God. It is the supreme authority in all matters of belief and behaviour.
- Since the fall, the whole of humankind is sinful and guilty, so that everyone is subject to God’s wrath and condemnation.
- The Lord Jesus Christ, God’s incarnate Son, is fully God; he was born of a virgin; his humanity is real and sinless; he died on the cross, was raised bodily from death and is now reigning over heaven and earth.
- Sinful human beings are redeemed from the guilt, penalty and power of sin only through the sacrificial death once and for all time of their representative and substitute, Jesus Christ, the only mediator between them and God.
- Those who believe in Christ are pardoned all their sins and accepted in God’s sight only because of the righteousness of Christ credited to them; this justification is God’s act of undeserved mercy, received solely by trust in him and not by their own efforts.
- The Holy Spirit alone makes the work of Christ effective to individual sinners, enabling them to turn to God from their sin and to trust in Jesus Christ.
- The Holy Spirit lives in all those he has regenerated. He makes them increasingly Christ-like in character and behaviour and gives them power for their witness in the world.
- The one holy universal church is the Body of Christ, to which all true believers belong.
- The Lord Jesus Christ will return in person, to judge everyone, to execute God’s just condemnation on those who have not repented and to receive the redeemed to eternal glory.
Keswick Ministries’ values shape who we are, what we do, and how we do what we do. They are not imposed. We believe they describe us. They are fundamental to our identity – a bit like DNA.
Over and above everything is CHRIST – dependent on him, listening to him, seeking to be like him, in his name, making him known, for his glory.
Lifestyle, morality and personal example
The Keswick movement has always sought to highlight the call to follow and be like Christ.
This has been part of our DNA as an event and movement since 1875. As Christians we seek to live in accordance with biblical guidelines in our lives, whether they are our relationships, attitudes or behaviors.
We aim to demonstrate this in our lifestyles, as we influence others daily. This includes regular Bible reading, prayer and active involvement in local church and the community.
This is shown through a selfless attitude to possessions, time, work, leisure, social activities and relationships.
Demonstrating moral standards, including an acceptance that the only appropriate place for a sexual relationship is within a marriage between a man and a woman.
Whilst we recognise that as fallen people we often fall short of this ideal, we believe that God’s grace and forgiveness are always available to those who repent. We nevertheless expect that all those working with us will affirm these principles and be committed to work towards achieving such a lifestyle with God’s help.